Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Blub your heart out...

Jenny 'Scrumy' Agutter

Forgive me coming over all metrosexual for a second but I have to 'fess up to something...

I cry at movies and plays.

Almost anything sets me off.

But I have to say when I was watching the "Railway Children" with my kids last night and, the moment Jenny Agutter says "Daddy! My Daddy!", as her falsly imprisoned father returns, I cried like a baby. I'm choking up now just thinking about it. I'd challenge any father, particularly one with a daughter, not to wipe a tear from his eye at that moment. It's partly the circumstances, partly the delivery, and partly the writing. Most writers would have plumped for "Daddy, daddy!". It's that little "my" that changes the cadence and delivers a killer punch - the lost years returning to her.

As an aside, I also have to admit that I'm "wierded out" by the fact that it is Jenny Agutter delivering that line - she, who was one of my first adolescent fantasies when she goes skinny dipping in "Walkabout". And don't even get me started on that shower scene in "American Werewolf in London"... I get hard-on's in movies too - perhaps I'm not so metrosexual after all.

Teenage hormones set racing...

So, dear readers, a question for you...

What makes you cry at the movies or am I just a big girl's blouse?

Enjoy...

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always get a bit weepy at the end of Watership down. Schindlers list is a dead cert Blub inducer as well, Oh yes and when Goose dies in Top Gun.
So you see even the Royal Navy has feelings.
regards
FishMiester

1:05 pm  
Blogger Red said...

I cry at parades, how's that for 'odd'? I just like them so much!

I like to cry. It releases tension, it feels 'better'...

And for the 'Daddy' thing...I have seen "The Little Princess" with Shirley Temple a billion times and each time she salutes Queen Victoria standing clutching her wounded father's hand and mouths "That's my daddy!" I sob...

12:46 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heart wrenching moments in movies? Lots of them do make me cry too. What is it that makes tears well up too often? Must be the onions, like what Donkey told Shrek.

1:21 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I usually cry if animals die in movies ... im an over the top animal lover and have a quite a number of pets. Doesnt matter what movie ... if an animal gets injured or dies I bawl.

8:57 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That little girl in the red coat in schindlers list. When you see the red coat on a discarded clothes, i lose it.

12:18 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home